My beautiful and talented girlfriend (right) and I in Harlem. Nothing in my life has been the same since I met her.
"What’s up with chicks and science?"
"Are there genetic differences between men and women? Explain why more men are in science."
do not flirt with women when they are at work
do not take advantage of women who are in situations where they cannot say no or be blunt
Bless this post.
"My political obligations? I am a Black woman … in a world that defines human as white and male for starters. Everything I do including survival is political.”
- Audre Lorde
THIS WAS THE FUNNIEST THING OF ALL THE SHOW
Do they ever take the mom to task for not teaching her Spanish though ? I mean her mom is there.
There was literally nothing funny about this though?
^^^^ that scene hits me right in the *assimilated* child of an immigrant feels. Cause so many parents don’t teach their kids their native tongues (for various reasons) and it hurts us. Especially when we try to connect with those parts of ourselves but other people delegitimize our identity because of a language barrier we are not responsible for.
And before a grade A piece of Shit decides to chime in with “teach yourself” :
1. Learning a new language is incredibly hard especially without assistance.
2. Many of us don’t have easy access to quality language learning resources for our mother tongues.
3. In regards to colonized people, of the easily accessible resources, most of them are the European versions of the language and not the language of the people. Which means you end up sounding like a stranger.
So yeah, nothing is funny about this at all.
4. White people are rewarded for learning/speaking more than one language. People of color are ridiculed for that same thing, especially if it impacts any part of their English. A lot of migrant parents think they are protecting us when they don’t teach us our native languages; They think if we only learn English, if we don’t pick up their accent, we might have an easier time in this racist society. Unfortunately, they’re usually right.
5. Learning a new language, especially as an adult, is extremely difficult. Add to that learning disabilities, neuroatypicalities, poverty, lack of resources, lack of time, and it’s nearly impossible.
kreyolcoco you hit it on the head. I can’t tell you how disconnected I feel or how I’ve been told I’m not a real haitian all because I can’t speak creole.
every young woman needs to learn how to be selfish
we get relegated to the role of the self-effacing mother too soon in our lives
I’m sick of sacrificing myself
I’m sick of suffering
like I saw on the dash earlier —
these things are not always fruitful
they do not always build character
they do not always lead us to better feelings and places
sometimes they’re just painful
sometimes they just fucking hurt
people need to stop romanticizing our fucking pain
can we stop acting like surfing porn is a natural normal healthy part of discovering your sexuality and developing a healthy sex life
if anything will fuck up and harm your concept of sex and sexuality it’s scrolling through pages upon pages of ‘hot blonde slut gets her ass fucked by daddy' and 'whore gets tied up and made to cum' while ads for 'mercilessly fucked girls in free monster porn' and '18 & Abused!' blink on both sides of the screen and fuck you if you're saying any different
"WOMAN IN TRACKSUIT PROBABLY NOT DISOWNED BY ENTIRE FAMILY"
Interesting to note that while a history of animal cruelty is widely accepted to be a link with becoming a serial killer, the link between cruelty towards women and killing women is still up for debate. If a guy abuses a cat and then shoots women we say "we should have seen it coming that guy was nuts", but if abuses women and then shoots women we say "we had no way of seeing it coming that guy was a perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human”.